Are you also constantly fighting with a baby who pushes away a spoon full of food, who bawls when they see a bowl of food coming their way, who refuses to open their mouth, in spite of numerous stories told to them? Does food time come with a lot of crying from not just your baby, but also a lot of dread from you?
Usually, weaning off your baby from the bottle or from breastfeeding starts off great…and then suddenly your baby starts refusing to eat. What can you do to overcome this?
Why do they refuse?
This is a normal part of development for most babies as
- There is a difference in taste and flavor perception
Babies have more taste buds than adults and this means that foods can taste different to them. Rejection of food doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like the taste, it just means that it might take the time and experience to get comfortable with that flavor
- Milk fills them up
Milk is very filling and aligning your baby’s food routine with their milk routine can cause them to reject their food. Introduce a schedule of 2.5-3 hours in between milk and food to ensure that your baby’s hunger is satiated with solid and semi-solid foods.
- Slowing down of growth
Typically, the baby’s growth will slow down after 12 months. Your baby’s appetite will change as they grow older as their nutritional requirements is quite low compared to the earlier stages.
- The taste, look, and feel of your spoon
The abrupt change from being bottle fed to a bowl/plate and spoon system can lead to your little one being fussy and irritable! The weaning process is a lot smoother if you look at a transitional stage.
What do we recommend?
- Ensure you stick to mealtimes. This will make them hungry at those times, ensuring that they get the nutrition that they need!
- Give your baby some independence. Allow them to eat the food by themselves and avoid force-feeding. This will encourage them to eat on their own. While this will not increase their food intake, it will reduce their aversion to solid and semi-solid foods. It will get a bit messy, but bear with it!
- Let them join in at the table. When they see you and their siblings eating similar food items, it could encourage them to eat with you too!
- Introduce new foods. Lay out a variety of nibbles for your little one to choose from so that they can try out different flavors and you’ll know what they prefer. (Also, psst. This taste test will also ensure that a lot of different nutrition - vitamins, minerals and fibers get into your little one’s tummy!)
- Dont give up. It will take some time for your little one to become okay with eating other food. So give yourself the strength to persevere through the tantrums and the stubborness
- The Yonom Yonom Silicone Spoon Feeder is reminiscent of a bottle to your baby but allows you to fill it up with semi-solid foods. It helps you increase your baby’s food quantity by 50 ml. It combines the convenience of spoon feeding with the sturdiness of a baby bottle. You can use it when you are traveling with your baby, or when they are in the stroller! You can also feed your baby with one hand!
It helps you increase your baby’s food quantity by 50 ml. It combines the convenience of spoon feeding with the sturdiness of a baby bottle. You can use it when you are traveling with your baby, or when they are in the stroller! You can also feed your baby with one hand!
The spoon is made to suit your baby’s mouth! When they are teething, the soft silicone helps ease the itch and pain in their gums as well!
We recommend you try out the Yonom Yonom Silicone Spoon Feeder to help wean your baby off of the bottle. Its compact and convenient shape allows you to feed your baby even when you are working or traveling! Your baby continues feeding on it, even when they are teething because of the soft nature of the silicone and the comfortable size of the spoon! To make it more convenient - it is microwaveable, refrigerate-able and dishwasher safe!
All of us are looking out for the health and nourishment of your little one. So you need to ensure that you take home the best of the best, dont you? And that is what the Yonom Yonom Silicone Spoon Feeder is!